Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Extensions for "Praying Mantis Position"
Quote | Reply
I would like to get close to the following position but I cannot find any suitable extensions. I just need the standard 22.2.

Would it be possible to install a normal ski bend extension backwards? With the ski tip in the clamp area and the long part at the arms?

Thanks for any input
Quote Reply
Re: Extensions for "Praying Mantis Position" [datomakin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's one option.

USE sells the deepest bends I know of. 3T's are also fairly deep bends.

You can also buy your own aluminum and bend it yourself. Worked great for me and was pretty cheap (so long as you have the tools to bend it or can build a jig)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
datomakin wrote:
Would it be possible to install a normal ski bend extension backwards? With the ski tip in the clamp area and the long part at the arms?

Yes

I've done exactly this with a Zipp Vuka Alumina set-up

Quote Reply
Re: Extensions for "Praying Mantis Position" [Jamaican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jamaican wrote:
datomakin wrote:

Yes

Great! Would the same work for the Carbon Vuka extensions?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
datomakin wrote:
Jamaican wrote:
datomakin wrote:

Yes

Great! Would the same work for the Carbon Vuka extensions?

I'm not sure to be honest. I lucked out because I made a second set of holes at the rear of the Extensions for internal Di2 routing when I was riding an FM087. Now that I've reversed them, those same holes allow the cables to pass through the Extensions right behind the Shifters. I had no issues on either end (Extension clamping or securing the Shifters) after the reversal, & I had tons of room to spare where the Extensions are clamped. You might have trouble mounting a BTA though because of the sharp rise. But to answer your question, as long as the tolerances allow everything to fit together properly, I don't see why not (some manufacturers recommend that the Shifters be mounted only at the "front" IIRC). But I've never tried with carbon components so YMMV.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No idea on the extensions question, but that is a SICK position
Quote Reply
Re: Extensions for "Praying Mantis Position" [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
leegoocrap wrote:
that's one option.

You can also buy your own aluminum and bend it yourself. Worked great for me and was pretty cheap (so long as you have the tools to bend it or can build a jig)

Do you have any reference as to gauge of aluminum and method (e.g. how build the jig)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think installing a normal ski-bend backwards would work well.

That is a sick position. Do you know who the rider is?

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Re: Extensions for "Praying Mantis Position" [abrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those are reversed ski bends and it does work. You may have to cut a cabling hole up at the shifters to make it work. There is a long thread somewhere else about this. I think tperry started it here. The rider is a top English TT'er Matt Bottrill who rides for Drag2Zero. Aero testing is starting to show that these type of positions, hands high, produce lower CdA's (I know that there are different opinions). UCI does have a rule that the max height from arm pad to tip of fully extended shifter can only be 10 inches.
There is also a reach rule from CBB to shifter tip.
Quote Reply
Re: Extensions for "Praying Mantis Position" [ccassidy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ccassidy wrote:
Those are reversed ski bends and it does work. You may have to cut a cabling hole up at the shifters to make it work. There is a long thread somewhere else about this. I think tperry started it here. The rider is a top English TT'er Matt Bottrill who rides for Drag2Zero. Aero testing is starting to show that these type of positions, hands high, produce lower CdA's (I know that there are different opinions). UCI does have a rule that the max height from arm pad to tip of fully extended shifter can only be 10 inches.
There is also a reach rule from CBB to shifter tip.

10cm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ccassidy wrote:
. The rider is a top English TT'er Matt Bottrill who rides for Drag2Zero.

Bottrill ist on a Canyon now? He used to be on a Giant.
Quote Reply
Re: Extensions for "Praying Mantis Position" [Triagain2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone knows if placing a bottle between the bars i.e. xlab torpedo in the praying mantis position would ruin the potential aero benefit since it is no longer shielded by your arms?
Last edited by: Knudsen88: Jun 3, 15 10:43
Quote Reply
Re: Extensions for "Praying Mantis Position" [RandyS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandyS wrote:
leegoocrap wrote:
that's one option.

Do you have any reference as to gauge of aluminum and method (e.g. how build the jig)?

This link will take you to the size you need.

I bent mine with a conduit bender (I borrowed from a friend, but can be purchased at home depot/lowes/whatever)

Quote Reply
Re: Extensions for "Praying Mantis Position" [Knudsen88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know with any certainty, but what I want to experiment with is placing a bottle on the bottom/front of the extensions in that position and let it be the leading edge. IIRC, Tom A had an old picture of himself with a setup like that and I always though it looked like a really good idea to my eyeball windtunnel.

Re: Extensions for "Praying Mantis Position" [Knudsen88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Knudsen88 wrote:
Anyone knows if placing a bottle between the bars i.e. xlab torpedo in the parking mantis position would ruin the potential aero benefit since it is no longer shielded by your arms?

my n=1 it was bad at A2 once my arms were at 25°
negated any gain moving them up gave me.

YMMV but I suggest testing it out at least a little.

Quote Reply
Re: Extensions for "Praying Mantis Position" [Triagain2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes cm
Quote Reply
Re: Extensions for "Praying Mantis Position" [BergHügi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BergHügi wrote:
ccassidy wrote:
. The rider is a top English TT'er Matt Bottrill who rides for Drag2Zero.

Bottrill ist on a Canyon now? He used to be on a Giant.

It's not Bottrill, he's indeed still on Giant. It's Dan Barnett from the same team. He's on a Pinarello Bolide now. His username is Magicman, look him up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
datomakin wrote:

Wow. Have you ever seen anyone look as strong/aero/fast on a TT?

You'd be pretty happy if someone took that photo of you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got the new position sorted out. Tested it on the track and saved 11-12W compared to my previous already aggressive position. Didn't lose any power after getting used to it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a drastic amount of savings... Did you just eyeball the position?
Quote Reply
Re: Extensions for "Praying Mantis Position" [Li0nel1234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hands in front of the eyeballs I guess. Position makes a lot of sense.

I guess there are UCI rules against it for pro TT.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Extensions for "Praying Mantis Position" [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the aforementioned 10cm makes it not work that way in UCI events.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have a chance to test and validate then take the riser out of your selector, for me it tested as two very different helmets with/without (IIRC about 50 grams) depending on head position. Also test the mantis out on the open road with traffic etc, I only had the chance to do one run with high mantis (marginally faster-less than 10g) but I scraped it and went back the next best "traditional" position.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
datomakin wrote:
Got the new position sorted out. Tested it on the track and saved 11-12W compared to my previous already aggressive position. Didn't lose any power after getting used to it.

Interesting how you'll change your bars before going to the shallow tail on the Selector. It's costs you watts as well...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone checked the wall thicknesses when reversing ski tip extensions? The section that is clamped by the aero bar would seem to take more stress than the section that is simply grabbed by the hands, so I would be concerned that you are clamping and relying on a section of the extension that is not designed to bear that degree of stress.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: Extensions for "Praying Mantis Position" [AforEffort] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AforEffort wrote:
datomakin wrote:

Wow. Have you ever seen anyone look as strong/aero/fast on a TT?

You'd be pretty happy if someone took that photo of you.

Thankfully Dan isn't riding such egregious bends these days.

Quote Reply
Re: Extensions for "Praying Mantis Position" [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
If you have a chance to test and validate then take the riser out of your selector, for me it tested as two very different helmets with/without (IIRC about 50 grams) depending on head position. Also test the mantis out on the open road with traffic etc, I only had the chance to do one run with high mantis (marginally faster-less than 10g) but I scraped it and went back the next best "traditional" position.

Maurice

Thanks for the advice. I tested the selector without the riser with my previous position and it left a gap to my upper back making the set-up with riser better but I will test it again with my new position. I already used this position on open roads for a while now and in the beginning it was a little sketchy but now it's fine. Had a good result on a local race last weekend beating a guy who beat me before for the win.
Quote Reply
Re: Extensions for "Praying Mantis Position" [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
Has anyone checked the wall thicknesses when reversing ski tip extensions? The section that is clamped by the aero bar would seem to take more stress than the section that is simply grabbed by the hands, so I would be concerned that you are clamping and relying on a section of the extension that is not designed to bear that degree of stress.

I use aluminum extensions where wall thickness is no issue. Zipp advised me that for carbon extensions this could indeed be dangerous since they were not designed to be used that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
datomakin wrote:
refthimos wrote:

I use aluminum extensions where wall thickness is no issue. Zipp advised me that for carbon extensions this could indeed be dangerous since they were not designed to be used that way.

This is good to know.
Quote Reply
Re: Extensions for "Praying Mantis Position" [Li0nel1234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Li0nel1234 wrote:
That's a drastic amount of savings... Did you just eyeball the position?

I tested different degrees of rise on the track and the steepest 50 degree one turned out to be the fastest in my case.
Quote Reply
Re: Extensions for "Praying Mantis Position" [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What extensions did you use in that picture? IA owner here looking to do that same

Professional Triathlete and Professional Orchestral Musician. Bikes, Bass, Beer.
Quote Reply
Re: Extensions for "Praying Mantis Position" [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How long a piece of alloy did you buy?

Professional Triathlete and Professional Orchestral Musician. Bikes, Bass, Beer.
Quote Reply
Re: Extensions for "Praying Mantis Position" [UOTriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
either the 18" or the 24." I don't quite remember. Buy a little long and you can cut off the excess.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sent you a pm.
Quote Reply
Re: Extensions for "Praying Mantis Position" [merlinkim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having bent a few extensions in the past I would suggest filling the tubes with sand
Quote Reply
Re: Extensions for "Praying Mantis Position" [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any reason why?

Quote Reply
Re: Extensions for "Praying Mantis Position" [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tip. How extreme a bend did you end up going with?
In Reply To:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The sand inside will prevent the pipe from crinkling or folding into itself. The sand provides a force from the inside to push against the walls.

Also, you'll need very secure end caps on both ends of the pipe so the sand can't escape.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Extensions for "Praying Mantis Position" [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
The sand inside will prevent the pipe from crinkling or folding into itself. The sand provides a force from the inside to push against the walls.

Also, you'll need very secure end caps on both ends of the pipe so the sand can't escape.

Why would we do this when USE sells extra long 30, 40, and 50 degree bend extensions?

Custom elbow cups and reach extenders on the other hand...

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.â€
Quote Reply
Re: Extensions for "Praying Mantis Position" [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pipeing may be a bit cheaper. Not sure how much the USE extensions go for, but I spent $35 on my aluminum.

Also, complex bends :)

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i need a set of those :)
Quote Reply
Re: Extensions for "Praying Mantis Position" [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I may go a different direction with bars for 2018, in which case I can sell ya this pair.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Extensions for "Praying Mantis Position" [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have seen thjose and that's cool but I also want to bend the bar behind the clamp so I cab add an angle to my pads. The ia aerobars has the pad clamp right into the bar so bar and pad can't be separated. And the USE bars do look cool but idk... I'd need to try them out because the PDs and 3Ts I tried were weird

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am guessing that is too much rise for me. pretty sure the zipp evo 110 is too much and not "supposed" to cut from the front :)
Quote Reply